Friday, August 22, 2008

Using past stats for the pre-season

Yesterday, I got a great question from 'singletrack'; I probably should have answered it in a new post, instead I answered it as a comment in the previous post. He asked whether or not the previous season's stats can be used to predict games during the following season, i.e. Can the 2007 regular season be used to help improve your prediction accuracy in the 2008 pre-season?

My quick answer is 'no', because the teams play with modified line-ups and the coaches aren't necessarily playing to win.

I'm sure most of the readers here are big into stats, trends, predictions, etc. If anyone has taken a more detailed look at the problem, please jump in with your findings. Or, if you just have an opinion, jump in with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment